I don't know if it is the time of year or our upcoming Reconnect meeting, but it seems as though many volunteers in my group (Honduras 13) with about eight months to go are reflecting on both past experiences, setting goals for their remaining service, and planning for life after Peace Corps. I am no different.
I both ended last year and began this year with an amazing trip home to the States and really the only thing you need to know is that in two weeks: I celebrated Christmas in Albuquerque, witnessed my parents renew their vows after 25 years of marriage, stood on a corner in Winslow, Arizona, played Blackjack in Vegas with my sister, and celebrated New Year's with friends in Tempe. It was a wonderful whirlwind.
Jake showing off his new Shades in Vegas
Sneaky Molly peeking at her Presents
Returning back to Honduras is always challenging after a vacation and this trip was no different. There are these feelings of disconnect and frustration. However, my feelings were vanquished by translating over four days for a medical brigade from the states. I had translated for this brigade last year so I already felt comfortable already with the schedule and most of the people. The brigade consisted of a group of doctors and other volunteers (mostly) from a Episcopalian church in Louisiana. We traveled to four different communities over four days offering basic consultations and medicine.
It was amazing to see the difference in myself from the year before. Last year, I had only been out of training three months and I spent the entire time translating with a spanish-English dictionary. But the changes weren't just in the growth of my language abilities. I now feel more confident as a volunteer, more settled in Honduras, and at peace with my life here. Last January, everything in my life felt like a struggle. I was anxious to find work and to "integrate" into my community. I hoped to make friends with the other volunteers in Santa Barbara and consistently sought their advice. I was bored and worried about being bored. I felt as though I should be out "doing" something and not just drinking coffee and hanging out. And although I am often still presented with frustrating circumstances or boredom, I have learned to accept these circumstances as part of my Peace Corps experience. Working in the brigade really forced me to notice how confident and relaxed I have become in my role as a volunteer. On the flip-side, I also noticed in myself more cynicism. Living in a developing country, it is really hard not to get frustrated with the operations of the government, corruption, workings of Non-governmental agencies, and sometimes, the very actions of people around you. However, cynicism just breeds more dissatisfaction and pushes out hope for improvements and change and every time I notice such cynicism in myself, I will continue to try to fight it off even if I have to sit all day in my hammock to do so.
Additionally, the brigade coming from a religious organization prayed every morning and evening before meals asking the Lord to bless the day and drawing to mind their commitment to service. I was inspired by both their faith and their actions. Every member of the group treated all of us with kindness, respect, and good humor. And the prayer and reflection each day, drew to my mind why I joined to Peace Corps in the first place. Beyond the experience of travel and learning some Spanish, I was called to serve. I was called to leave behind what was comfortable and safe, to help where I could and to be in right relationship with God's people. It was really a blessing to volunteer with this brigade for the week and I left feeling more motivated and committed for the rest of my service.
We have our Project Workshop next week. There are six projects in Honduras of which three arrive every six months or so. Municipal Development arrives in July for Training, has swear-in in September, and Project Workshop in February (this schedule applies to Youth Development and Protected Areas Management also). So MuniD, Hondu 13 will be reunited for the last time as a group until our Close of Service conference in June! We will all give small presentations on a theme of our choice that will (hopefully) be useful for the new group of Municipal Development volunteers (H-15).
In the next month, I will resume teaching English to Honduran teachers, working with the youth group through the library, and trying to ensure that kids are drinking clean/purified water in school! I am already planning my next travel excursion and looking forward to some possible visitors. Consider this your open invitation to visit and experience the true Honduran experience.
Well, to finish up. I have come far in the last year. I had some challenging experiences and I, like many people in Honduras and around the world, are looking forward to a New Year!
(As a side note, I found a dead lizard in my pila the other day. I fished it out and now it is decaying outside my house in the dirt. Sometimes, I feel like my life is a science experiment.)
Peace out.
1 comment:
What a beautiful reflection! I admire you and learn so much from your.
mom
Post a Comment