Friday, September 4, 2009

Last weekend, I traveled to the beautiful Colonial town of Santa Rosa de Copan for an event called, “Noche de Los Fumadores” or Night of the Smokers. The event is a promotion for Honduras’ cigar industry and takes place during Santa Rosa’s yearly Feria and with the cost of admission we received a box of cigars, a samply of coffee, a small handy tote bag, and food and drinks for the evening. There were presentations of cigar rolling as well as a short concert by the Honduran singer Guillermo Anderson. The night was semi-formal and it was nice to see all the volunteers dressed up for the night, leaving at home their Northface gear and chakos. For many of us it was the first time we had been so shiny since the swearing-in ceremony (I literally had to dust of my high heels). There were more than 60 volunteers in attendance and we were a third of everyone at Noche. I met a bunch of new volunteers and hung out with some old favorites.
Saturday I spent exploring town and sampling coffee which was one the many things going on for the feria. Santa Rosa is really a very nice town with little cafés and restaurants as well as those great cobblestone streets. As volunteers, we reveled in the luxury while at the same time mocking Santa Rosa as Fresa (Fancy) especially after seeing the mani-pedi someone had treated herself too.

As always pics are on the picassa site or facebook.


Continuing to live the dream,

Brenna

No comments: